NEW YORK, March 17, 2021 – Proskauer, a leading international law firm, is pleased to receive the McDonald’s EMPOWER Award (large-size firm) for commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
The McDonald’s Global Legal team created this award to recognize partner law firms that demonstrate an innovative and genuine commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, based on staffing of matters; allocation of origination credit; and recruitment, hiring, retention and promotion practices. Ford Harrison LLP was also recognized with this award as a mid-sized firm.
“Proskauer is heavily invested in its diversity initiatives and we are proud to have been recognized by our long-time client McDonald’s. We are continuously evaluating and evolving our approaches to cultivate collaboration and belonging, and to continue to provide the highest value service to our clients,” said Managing Partner Daryn Grossman.
In addition to McDonald’s recognition of the Firm’s innovative DEI programs which deliver lasting, positive change, Proskauer was also recognized for its commitment to ensuring that McDonald’s matters are always staffed with a talented team of diverse lawyers.
“We were very impressed by the innovation of the winners’ DEI programs, which reflect that they took the time to understand the potential systemic barriers that impact the retention and promotion of diverse attorneys and implemented changes in response,” said Kristen Jones, Director of Legal Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Senior Counsel, McDonald’s Corporation. “It is our hope that this work inspires firms across the industry to share best practices with each other, which will drive meaningful change across the legal profession,” she added.
Some of the Firm’s noteworthy programs include:
- “Collaborate for Change,” a campaign focused on activism and antiracism that includes a speaker series for participation by the entire Firm, its alumni and client community; a racial justice fellowship for a Proskauer lawyer; an annual 25,000 pro bono hours minimum commitment to racial justice causes; and open feedback from employees, which has led to the Firm’s observance of Juneteenth as a holiday for our US offices
- Caregiver Return (“CaRe”) automatically gives 100% of pre-leave compensation for all primary caregivers returning from leave, to work a reduced schedule
- Inclusion Training Program, a multiphase education plan for all employees addressing topics like bias, cultural competence, and inclusive leadership
- Silver Scholarship Program for diverse law students
- With the goal of bettering the legal profession as a whole, “Proskauer Prep” is a first-in-kind training initiative for pre-law women to advance their careers no matter what path they chose to take after law school
- Women’s Sponsorship Program for senior associates and recently promoted partners, a robust mentoring platform for up-and-coming leaders
- Mentoring Circle Program teams-up diverse associates with partner mentors
- Proskauer Affinity Groups for women, LGBTQ+ and minority lawyers offer networking and training opportunities, among other benefits
Proskauer’s Diversity Task Force, which includes two members of the Executive Committee, the Managing Partner and the Firm’s Diversity and Inclusion Officer, drives the design and accountability of these programs hand-in-hand with our dedicated diversity and inclusion professionals.
Diversity and inclusion are at the heart of our culture. We are 725+ lawyers serving clients from offices located in the leading financial and business centers in the Americas, Europe and Asia. We work with asset managers, private equity and venture capital firms, Fortune 500 and FTSE companies, major sports leagues, entertainment industry legends and other industry-redefining companies. We are a people business, comprised of some of the brightest and most creative minds, working together to drive success for our clients.