Wai Choy has deep expertise in technology, media, outsourcing and intellectual property-related transactions and counseling and is a member of Proskauer’s Technology, Media & Telecommunications Group, Life Sciences Group, Privacy & Cybersecurity Group and Blockchain Group. He serves as a trusted advisor to clients at various stages in their development and across industries, including technology, life sciences, financial services, entertainment, e-commerce and advertising.
Read More >
Wai helps clients navigate legal and business issues and leads the structuring, drafting and negotiation of a wide range of contracts, such as:
- In the biotech, pharma and medical device arena, agreements covering research and development collaborations, intellectual property licenses, manufacturing, supply and distribution services, sponsored research, grants, revenue sharing and other strategic partnerships among commercial entities, academic institutions and/or charitable organizations;
- Service agreements for a variety of services, including software as a service (SaaS) and other hosted services, data analytics, digital marketing, software and website development, systems integration, technology implementation, payment processing and outsourcing;
- Collaboration agreements between strategic partners for the development, manufacturing and commercialization of new technology, products and services;
- Software license agreements and other complex intellectual property license and assignment agreements;
- Content production, license and distribution agreements covering various business models and distribution methods;
- Revenue sharing, joint venture, reseller, supply, equipment purchasing, manufacturing and other types of general commercial agreements; and
- Advertising-related agreements spanning digital, radio and billboard media, including programmatic advertising platform agreements, lead generation service agreements, advertising reseller and affiliate agreements, insertion orders and advertising terms and conditions.
In the context of mergers, acquisitions and financings, Wai:
- Guides clients through technology, intellectual property, privacy and data security matters;
- Leads teams in conducting legal due diligence; and
- Drafts and negotiates key transaction documents, such as purchase, merger, transition services and intellectual property license agreements.
Wai also counsels clients and provides strategic advice regarding:
- Blockchain and distributed ledger technology development, structuring and implementation, the establishment of U.S.-regulated digital asset trading platforms and hedge funds, token offerings and associated legal issues;
- Privacy, cybersecurity, confidentiality, intellectual property, right of publicity and defamation laws and issues;
- Use of open source code under various permissive and copyleft licensing schemes, including structuring combinations of open source code with proprietary code; and
- Internet, digital marketing and media-applicable U.S. laws.
Wai serves as Senior Associate Editor of Proskauer’s Blockchain and the Law blog and has been a guest lecturer on blockchain technology at Fordham University School of Law. While in law school, Wai worked in the Business & Legal Affairs departments of Marvel Studios in Los Angeles and Marvel Entertainment in New York on a variety of licensing, film and television production, merchandising and publishing matters. Wai also served as Senior Editor of the University of Pennsylvania Law Review and co-president of the Entertainment & Sports Law Society.