Wai Choy is a member of Proskauer’s Technology, Media & Telecommunications Group, Privacy & Cybersecurity Group and Blockchain Group. Wai focuses his practice on technology, media, outsourcing and intellectual property-related transactions and counseling in a wide range of fields, including the technology, e-commerce, entertainment, advertising, consumer products, retail, financial services, blockchain, education, healthcare and life sciences industries.
Read More >
For example, Wai leads the structuring, drafting and negotiation of, and advises clients on legal and business aspects of:
- Service agreements, statements of work and service level agreements for a variety of services, including software as a service (SaaS) and other hosted services, data analytics, digital marketing, software and website development, systems integration, technology implementation, payment processing and outsourcing;
- Collaboration agreements between strategic partners for the development, manufacturing and commercialization of new technology, products and services, including in the biotechnology, virtual reality and motion simulation fields;
- Software license agreements and other complex intellectual property license and assignment agreements;
- Content production, license and distribution agreements covering various business models and distribution methods;
- Revenue sharing, joint venture, reseller, supply, equipment purchasing, manufacturing and other types of general commercial agreements; and
- Advertising-related agreements spanning digital, radio and billboard media, including programmatic advertising platform agreements, lead generation service agreements, advertising reseller and affiliate agreements, insertion orders and advertising terms and conditions.
In mergers and acquisitions, Wai:
- Leads technology, intellectual property, privacy and data security representation of buyers and sellers and manages teams in conducting legal due diligence; and
- Drafts and negotiates key transaction documents, such as purchase, merger, transition services and intellectual property license agreements.
Wai also counsels clients and provides strategic advice regarding:
- Blockchain and distributed ledger technology development, structuring and implementation, the establishment of U.S.-regulated digital asset trading platforms and hedge funds, token offerings and associated legal issues;
- Privacy, cybersecurity, confidentiality, intellectual property, right of publicity and defamation laws and issues;
- Use of open source code under various permissive and copyleft licensing schemes, including structuring combinations of open source code with proprietary code; and
- Internet, digital marketing and media-applicable U.S. laws.
As the manager of Proskauer’s in-house procurement contracts legal team, Wai oversees the drafting and negotiation of contracts with providers of technology-related products and services and advises its Information Services Department regarding intellectual property and data security issues.
Wai serves as Senior Associate Editor of Proskauer’s Blockchain and the Law blog and has been a guest lecturer on blockchain technology at Fordham University School of Law.
While in law school, Wai worked in the Business & Legal Affairs departments of Marvel Studios in Los Angeles and Marvel Entertainment in New York on a variety of licensing, film and television production, merchandising and publishing matters. Wai also served as Senior Editor of the University of Pennsylvania Law Review and co-president of the Entertainment & Sports Law Society.