Adrian Fontecilla is an associate in the Antitrust Group. He focuses his practice on complex antitrust litigation, including class actions and competitor lawsuits. He has litigated cases in arbitrations and in federal courts throughout the United States. He also has extensive experience advising companies in connection with government investigations and merger reviews. In addition, Adrian counsels clients regarding their sales and marketing practices, business ventures, and general antitrust compliance.
Adrian has handled antitrust matters in a wide range of industries that include aerospace, consumer products, finance, food and agriculture, health care, energy, sports, telecommunications, and transportation. He has particular experience with the antitrust issues regarding intellectual property, information-sharing programs, trade associations, aftermarkets, the Capper-Volstead Act, and joint ventures.
Read More >
Key representations include:
Defending a distributor of dental supplies and dental equipment against price-fixing and group boycott claims in a class action litigation
Representing a professional sports league in an antitrust class action litigation regarding the live broadcast of its games
- Defending a marketer of potatoes in a multidistrict class action litigation alleging a price-fixing conspiracy in the potato industry
- Defending one of the largest egg producers in the U.S. in securing dismissal of antitrust claims alleging a price-fixing conspiracy in the egg industry
- Representing an agriculture trade association as amicus curiae before the Supreme Court in connection with an antitrust class action in the dairy industry
- Defending several large consumer electronics companies and a patent pool administrator against antitrust and unfair competition claims regarding licensing of digital television patents
- Representing an art foundation in securing dismissal of $40M lawsuit alleging that issuance of opinions about authenticity of artworks and enforcement of intellectual property rights violated federal and state antitrust laws
- Defending a marketer of rocket engines in a $1.5 billion private antitrust action alleging exclusive dealing and monopolization claims
- Defending a class I freight railroad in a multidistrict class action litigation alleging a price-fixing conspiracy related to fuel surcharges
- Teaming with the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law to file an appeal before the Fifth Circuit in a Voting Rights Act case challenging the method of electing judges in Baton Rouge
- Defending a global office-machine manufacturer against claims by copier dealers under Sections 1 and 2 of the Sherman Antitrust Act, the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act and other federal and state laws
- Defending a publishing company in antitrust investigations related to eBooks
- Defending a leading bank against price-fixing, tying and exclusive-dealing class action claims brought by a putative class of merchants with respect to fees paid for payment card processing
- Defending a pharmaceutical manufacturer against claims of monopolization in proposed class action litigation
Adrian is an active member of the American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law and currently sits on the leadership committee of the Section’s Agriculture and Food Committee. He is co-chair of the firm’s Hispanic and Latino Lawyers’ Affinity Group and a member of the firm’s Pro Bono Committee.