Stuart Bressman is a partner in the Corporate Department and a member of the Capital Markets Group. Stuart focuses on a variety of corporate and capital markets transactions in which he represents both investment banks and issuers in public and private offerings of various kinds of securities by both U.S. and non-U.S. companies. He also advises clients with respect to general corporate and securities compliance and reporting matters.
Stuart has represented both underwriters and issuers in connection with numerous public and private offerings of securities, including IPOs and secondary offerings of equity and convertible securities, offerings of high-yield and investment-grade debt, shelf registrations and Rule 144A offerings. Stuart is known as a leader and innovator in the area of alternative financing techniques, such as confidentially marketed public offerings (CMPOs), registered direct offerings (RDs) and private investments in public equity (PIPEs). He has experience is many industries, with particular emphasis on life sciences/health care, technology and energy.
Stuart has received many awards and recognitions, including from The Legal 500, Chambers USA and Chambers Global, which noted that Stuart is "a problem-solver" with "terrific business judgment.”
Over his career, Stuart has completed hundreds of public offerings and private placements of securities as well as other kinds of transactions. Recent transactions include:
- Representing Citibank and JP Morgan in the offering by Novavax, Inc. of $300 million aggregate principal amount of its Convertible Senior Unsecured Notes pursuant to Rule 144A
- Advising Citibank and Leerink Partners in the public offering by Kura Oncology of $50 million of its Common Stock
- Representing JP Morgan in the public offering by ARIAD Pharmaceuticals of $323 million of its Common Stock
- Representing Cowen and Company, as underwriter/placement agent in several public offerings of securities, as well as at-the-market offering programs, PIPEs and private placements, including a $50 million ATM program for Intra-Cellular Therapies, Inc. and a $30 million ATM program by Capstone Turbine Corporation
- Representing Leerink Partners in the public offering by Intra-Cellular Therapies, Inc. of $345 million of its common stock
- Advising Guggenheim Securities in a private placement by Poxel S.A. of €20 million of its Ordinary Shares
- Representing Oppenheimer & Co. in the public offering by Energy Focus, Inc. of $50 million of its common stock
- Advising Centrexion Therapeutics Corporation in private placements of its securities
- Representing Lazard Capital Markets/Lazard Frères & Company, as underwriter/placement agent, in a number of public offerings of securities, as well as PIPEs and private placements, such as the offering by Sarepta Therapeutics of $118 million of common stock, the offering by Sangamo BioSciences of $60 million of common stock, the offering by Vanda Pharmaceuticals of $50 million of common stock, the offering by Novavax of $95 million of common stock and the offering by Ballard Power Systems, a Canadian company, of units consisting of common stock and warrants